Pursuant to a unanimous Austin City Council vote adopting Austin’s new comprehensive plan, the City requested that the proposed SH 45 Southwest aquifer-crossing toll road be deleted from our regional CAMPO transportation plan. CAMPO will be holding public hearings on the proposal and several other proposed plan amendments next week and the following week.
Building SH 45 SW would increase congestion on already congested Mopac by funneling tens of thousands of additional cars onto South Mopac from far southeast Travis and northeast Hays counties. It would destroy the tranquility of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center and pave over hundreds sinkholes, caves and other recharge features that feed rainfall directly into the Barton Springs Edwards Aquifer. We will soon be updating KeepMopacLocal.org with additional information.
Public Hearing, 6:00 p.m.
- Monday, September 10th - UT Lady Bird Johnson Auditorium, 2405 Robert Dedman Drive, Austin
Community Meetings, 5:30 to 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday, September 13th - Del Valle Opportunity Center Cafeteria, 5301B Ross Road, Del Valle
- Monday, September 17th- Baranoff Elementary Cafeteria, 12009 Buckingham Gate Road, Austin
- Tuesday, September 18th - Elm Grove Elementary Cafeteria, 801 FM 1626, Buda
- Wednesday, September 19th - Kiker Elementary Cafeteria, 5913 La Crosse Ave., Austin
The public comment period ends on Thursday, September 27th at 5 p.m. The CAMPO Transportation Policy Board is expected to consider these amendments at its October 8th meeting.